Remming

IKEA Electric Table DIY

I finally bought myself an electric table, it took me more than a year to actually do it because I needed the tabletop to be 115cm wide—the narrow tables always seem to be 120cm wide—so it would fit within my bookshelf. Which also meant that I needed to do some sawing and finishing myself.

Forgive me the messy room.

I bought IKEA Bekant electric legs and an IKEA Gerton full wood tabletop (which seemed to be the only reasonably sized full wood tabletop available from IKEA).

I was hopeful that the table would have the correct holes already pre-drilled. Alas it did not. Thankfully making your own holes was relatively easy and the legs were connected rather fast…except I didn’t have a drill. At least now I own a drill and can say that I know how to use, at least a bit.

I made sure that I measured multiple times before connecting the legs, I also made the good choice of not putting them to the exact middle so I only had to saw one of the edges.

Who knew that sawing a straight line with a dull saw wouldn't be easy...

Next bit was sawing the extra bit off. Easier said than done. The saw I got from my mom was dull as hell and I have probably never sawed anything this long nor “critical”. So of course the line went to all wonky. Good thing is that it curved to the correct direction and I was able to make it straight by just sawing from the other direction with the help of the piece that was cut off.

Last layer of oil drying in the sunset.

Then began the sanding. Oh boy was there a lot of sanding. And no, of course I didn’t have a machine. I also needed to clean up the sawed edge. I thought I sanded for a long time and well, but in the end I should have taken at least twice as much time to do it as there are a few rougher spots on the table. I don’t mind them and if they do start to annoy me, I can always just resurface the whole table.

Of course I forgot to buy oil for the tabletop, of course. After asking around in our work Slack’s #hobby-diy channel the only recommendation people had was Osmo Top Oil, I decided to go with colorless version of it (and a small 0.125l can was also enough for three coatings). I applied three coats, waiting roughly two hours in between the coatings. My small one room apartment isn’t that well ventilated (I did all that I could to maximize ventilation) and I must admit I didn’t sleep that well in the fumes…

The last thing to do was of course to just attach the control unit and the built-in net to the bottom of the table. The control unit was super simple, but the net nearly made me fucking crazy. Why couldn’t it just use hooks?? But it had to use a stupid plastic shit that didn’t want to work. Argh! That was the only part that I lost my cool with, which I do find rather surprising.

Next up was just moving my computer to the table and to begin using it. I’m super happy about the result. Not only does this look great, this is also the first time in my life that I have a good ergonomical workstation at home.

In total this took me three days of work, but the number of hours was probably less than eight. With better tools and skills I’m sure you could do this in an hour. It also took me quite a bit of time to have to go buy things—first the drill, and then the oil. Thankfully I was not in any hurry (best thing about vacation). Finally finishing this build, which I had meant to do for a year or more, I also ordered a new PC and a larger monitor for it! I’m so excited to get to build that (expect a post about that too)! Below is an image of the finished build as it stands currently. The holes in the wall will be covered by art once I get them framed, and the cable management I will only finish properly once I get the new PC.